Tuesday, March 9, 2010

030910 - Day 58 of 365 - Class preparation





My creative endeavors this evening were consumed by collecting and planning out a drawing class I'm teaching this coming weekend - 'Drawing doesn't have to be so hard' (at Accent Arts in Palo Alto, CA / http://accentarts.biz/art_list.html)

Now I know this to be true (drawing doesn't have to really be that hard).. I know first hand because it took me A LOT of time and effort to seek out good info. that worked (and made sense) for me. I can't tell you how many times along the way I thought, "Wow, I (finally) GET that!" then quickly to realize/think, "Now,.. why in the hell didn't someone tell me that A LONG TIME AGO!?!!!"

Well, this weekend it's my plan to really help some folks understand some of the *mysteries* of drawing-- without years of effort.

It's funny, everything is composed of the basic 'kit of parts', which is comprised of only 4 shapes. Combine those shapes... along with a basic understanding of lighting (which actually means, 'Light, Shade, and Shadow') AND placement/location within their environment.. and VIOLA - you've got it! Well,.. that might not make you a master,.. but it will put you in a place of greater understanding and control of your image creation.

OK,.. well, I guess only time will tell if I can help others really 'Get it' within a few hour workshop. Not to worry-- I'm confident I can see to it that they have fun and leave with a lot more understanding than they walked in with.

The photos shows my notes and a stack of 'stuff' (books, ref-materials, tools, examples, some of my work, props, etc.) I cobbled together to aide in my efforts.

If you're in the neighborhood -- sign up or drop by!




No comments:

Post a Comment