Saturday, August 21, 2010

day 133 - Thanks George.





"Where there's a will, there's a way."


This comment, which may be seemingly simple to most, may have changed my life.


I imagine the man who delivered it had little idea of the impact it made on me. You see, I was just a kid growing up in a small (actually tiny) Ohio town. The youngest of five children, in a family of limited means, who'd lost our father young (I was ~ age 4 when he passed), . Don't get me wrong, it's not like we were poor, we certainly never went hungry. I guess the saying 'we had all we needed vs. what we wanted' would be quite appropriate here. Anyway,.. I guess this influenced me to become VERY resourceful.. and yes, often very,.. very frustrated. One day in particular I was working on my go-kart... something I'd cobbled together from mostly found parts, misc. bits I'd collected, generous advice of a few neighbors, and sheer determined spirit.


Anyways-- one day I was trying to fix or improve something on my go-kart which I clearly didn't have the proper tools or resources for. I was obviously frustrated,.. and I guess noticeably close losing my determined spirit, standing on the doorstep of defeat when George, (a family friend, who'd dropped by to visit with my mother-- probably to share some tomatoes or produce from his family's garden. {Score another +100 points for small town living}), took a break from his summertime conversation with my mother on the front porch (remember when folks used to visit that way?) smiled a wily grin, seemingly larger than his own head, paused-- and then quietly, calmly, and confidently commented in my direction-- "You'll get it. Where there's a will, there's a way."


I mean, he said it with so much certainty and clarity,.. like it was an absolute truth, zero doubt, nada, nuthin'. Perhaps I wasn't used to this kind of support, or maybe it was because it came from a man I'd quietly admired and respected since I was a pup?-- All I know is it touched me deeply and made a significant difference to me that day. Not only that day, but that statement has returned to re-inspire me again, and again, and again.. many, many times in my life since.


Although you've since moved on from this world, I'd like to say, "Thank you George." I still carry that message with me and most likely always will.


Oh-- and a funny side note. I stuck with it and eventually produced a contraption (aka 'go-kart') that was propelled by an 8.5hp chainsaw engine, (The engine was a surprise gift from George that came months after the above story/exchange-- apparently the chainsaw was the victim of a rasaclly tree that fell the wrong direction-- destroying the saw, but leaving the engine intact.) capable of a top speed of.... well, sheesh, this leads to another 'small town' story,...


One evening after school I was racing about on the 'fly-ash flats' up on the hill behind our little town when I saw the local cop car slowly rolling into my view and in my direction-- Dale (One of our TWO local cops and a man of a profound presence and few words {he always reminded me of Jackie Gleason, in a good sort of way}) was sitting in the drivers seat-- signaling me to come over. I honestly thought I was in BIG TROUBLE. As i nervously approached he simply said-- "Give it another go and we'll see what you got." then glanced toward the radar gun in his hand. After a few of my best 'fast-passes' he waved me close again, said nothing, then turned the radar gun around showing me the red LED display-- 49MPH!!! He then gave up the slightest grin, knowingly nodded, and said-- "Be careful... and whatever you do, don't tell your mother!" Then pulled the cruiser in drive and slowly rolled away.


Yet another wonderful advantage of growing up in a small town where everybody knew everybody (Dale the cop lived two houses away, the other cop 3 houses in the other direction). I never did manage to gets brakes on that darn go-kart though,.. it's a wonder I lived through that period of my life!


So-- I guess this is a long winded, circuitous, wandering, meandering way to say-- work with what you've got-- where there's a will, there's a way. The artist who carved these has undeniably created some incredible works of art-- with what looks to be very limited means

(consider his materials and notice the rusty xacto blade?).


Thanks for droppin' in-

dave



1 comment: