Sunday, May 2, 2010

day 103 - Sometimes they actually listen!



So here's a great example of 'Something I NEVER imagined'.

A long long time ago in a land far away (from where I now live) I had a client I used to call 'Mr. Big'. He was an 'Idea-Man'. Quite a character, charmer, AND talker (bastard, he still owes me money!),.. always on the verge of the next BIG THING,.. Often talking of inventions and patents... huge [future] money,.. but mostly-- actual BIG things. These 'big things' were (almost always) thinly veiled marketing schemes he wanted to pitch to someone. Even though he was a GREAT talker, he needed something more than just his eloquent B.S. to pitch the kind of ideas he had his head. This is where I came in-- 'sketches'. Yes, you got it, 'sketches'. They turn 'things' from 'mere imaginings' inside of ONE individual's brain, into a simply (often crudely) executed drawing which gives the essential idea 'LIFE' that others can then easily 'See'.

Now, who could blame anyone given this kinda power (aka 'Me') for occasionally 'messing around' with the assignment.. and throwing in some ideas that were never actually asked for.. but were needed (even though they didn't know it ; ) even though they sounded kinda 'wacky' or 'off center' at the time?

Well, I won't bore you with the details (or my writing),.. but I will let the sketch and photo above tell the tale of what eventually became a 65' tall shining (now patina) grand example of a 'Something I never imagined'.

If you're ever in Atlanta-- swing by Buckheae and check out the 'Big Fish' at the Atlanta Fish Market. Oh,.. and please don't judge me for the final execution-- I just did the sketch that convinced them they should 'Do something different' than they had originally intended.






No comments:

Post a Comment