Monday, February 1, 2010

020110 - Day 22 of 365





So today I felt it was time to change my format.. and then I thought, "Well, why not the surface too?" Which quickly led to changing my format, surface, AND materials (paints).

So here's how it went,..
As I was considering changing the format, i recalled having a roll of linen (sp?) drafting material that I've had since I was a kid,.. I'm talkin' like jr. high or even younger. An aunt of mine (Aunt Mary, rest her soul) who was always kind, happy and generous,.. Anyway-- one day she showed up and gave me this roll of linen (which looks like blue thin fabric... yet smooth and shiny). Apparently the powers that be at here work ('PURE Oil Company' - do they still exist?) were discarding it or going to toss it out due to an office move and she commandeered it for her young nephew (me) who, 'liked to draw' and would likely find it a treasure. I tried to mess with it-- but never found it to be useful with the #2 pencils that comprised my humble young artist's studio... but for some reason I never EVER could bring myself to throw it away. Frankly, I have NO IDEA how i still have it all these years later (at least 30+) but somehow I do,.. and I decided it was the surface I'd work on next. From there it was short order, to begin a bit differently by laying down a base of acrylic paint-- then transitioning into my routine of oils.

Shortly into it... I'm pretty sure I discovered that I was working on the wrong/back-side but was already committed so I forged on.

It proved to be handle quite a bit differently than what I'm used to-- and I'm sure it's hard to tell just how different it is (from my lo-res images), but I have to say I got some really interesting and pleasant surprises. VERY cool textures emerged from using the oil over the acrylic. So in tonight's pics I've included a few extra 'detail' shots (yes, I'm using that very term loosely as my photos are still quite lo-level/res) to try and show you some more of what is in the painting when you get up close.

So,.. I hope I said it then all those years ago-- but just in case I didn't, "Thanks Aunt Mary, I really appreciate the art supplies and promise to put them to good use."

Today's word;
'miracle'

1 comment: